On-Demand: The Business Side of Therapy: Maintaining Ethical & Legal Standards while Growing Your Practice (with Practicing Online Updates) - 6 CEUs
To access the discount form for registering for multiple workshops or participants, please click here.
- CE Hours Included: 6 Ethics, Core, or Related (please see below for more details).
- Format: On-Demand Webinar ("Asynchronous") ~ At your leisure to be viewed at your own pace. You may pause, rewind, and fast forward at any point during the videos. You are in complete control of how you view this workshop. However, you are required to watch at least 90% of the videos to receive CEs. The PowerPoint handout will be displayed in the video along with the presenter, and there is also a separate document for printing as well as multiple other handouts and forms. There is a quiz at the end to ensure comprehension and is required by all CE approval organizations for On-Demand workshops.
- Investment: $140 (provides lifetime access!)
- Presented by: Becky Beaton-York, Ph.D. & Chris J. York, Attorney at Law
- Target Audience: Psychologists, Counselors, Social Workers, Marriage & Family Therapists, Psychotherapists, Other Mental Health Professionals
- Instruction Level: Intermediate
In this workshop, you will learn how to:
- Describe how Social Media and Search-Engine Optimization can play an essential part in practice-building now during COVID and into the future of digital practice and how to thwart the ethical pitfalls.
- Discuss business licensing laws, employment law (including employing someone with a W2), HIPAA requirements, and whether or not it makes sense to become an S-Corp or an LLC (or our personal favorite . . . an LLC taxed as an S-Corp.
- Describe how to save a significant amount of money on taxes by employing yourself with a W2.
- Demonstrate ethically and legally sound ways to implement a crisis response plan in person and via TeleMental Health.
- Explain the essentials of clinical documentation: what needs to be in a client record; how to write progress notes from a risk management perspective; how long client records should be retained; questions to ask regarding an electronic health records (EHR) platform; who has access to records; who owns the records, and the difference between psychotherapy notes and the medical record.
- Discuss the frequently overlooked ingredients needed in an Informed Consent to Treatment that will help you maintain an ethical practice and prevent future malpractice claims.
- Demonstrate financial reimbursement and ethical pitfalls concerning fee-setting, what is considered “reasonable and customary,” what lawyers term “undue influence,” bartering, kickbacks, etc.
- Apply all the above to develop the framework for your ideal practice.
This workshop will address the legal and ethical essentials of being in any kind of outpatient practice. In order to generate business to grow a practice, marketing is essential. However, in this age of social media, self-disclosure and dual roles can muddy the waters of a clean therapeutic relationship. It's also critical that therapists are aware of the Standard of Care in which they need to uphold as well as ascertain that they truly have the competency to perform the services in which they are advertising. Additionally, being competent in telemental health and emergency procedures is essential: Do you know what you need to know regarding involuntary commitment when services are only through telemental health or what you need to know to practice across state lines during COVID, which seems to change from month to month? All of these solid, much-needed skills will be addressed, along with ethical fee setting (when is it unethical or even illegal), and protective documentation strategies beginning with your intake through a mindful termination summary.
Presented by: Becky Beaton-York, Ph.D.
Dr. Beaton-York has 30 years of experience in the therapy field, and she has run her own businesses for 25 of those years. She was the Founder of The Anxiety & Stress Management Institute, a very large practice with over 40 self-pay clinicians when she sold it after just eight years. She is the Co-Founder of the nonprofit OCD Georgia, Inc., and the founder of The Knowledge Tree, LLC. She loves growing businesses and coaching therapists regarding practice-building from an ethical perspective. In 2005, Dr. Beaton-York was voted Counselor Educator of the Year by the Licensed Professional Counselor's Association of Georgia. She is currently an Adjunct Professor in the Department of Psychology at Emory University. Dr. Beaton-York is also the Chair of the Georgia Psychological Association’s Ethics Committee. You may have also seen her on the television series "Hoarding: Buried Alive" as the treating psychologist on over 60 episodes.
Chris J. York, Esq.
Mr. York attended Bowdoin College in Maine for undergrad and is a 1991 graduate of Emory University Law School. As an Atlanta-based litigator, early in his career he tried numerous medical malpractice jury trials on behalf of defendant physicians. Later, he focused more on product liability, business, and corporate practice. He was Georgia counsel to a national seat belt and airbag supplier and later served as Senior VP and General Counsel to an Atlanta medical device company. In 2003, he formed his own firm which he still runs. His law partner, Chip Gaskill, is a Vanderbilt Law School graduate who specializes in corporate matters in addition to family law, trusts, and estates. Their firm is York Gaskill, LLC. Today, Mr. York primarily specializes in helping small businesses, with several of his clients being therapy practice owners.
What people are saying about this workshop:
- "I learned so much and feel I will often reference the covered material as I grow as a therapist and business owner. Thank you!" - H.K., APC
6 Ethics, Core, or Related “Asynchronous” CE Clock Hours Included - Details by License Type Below:
- PSYCHOLOGISTS: The Knowledge Tree (TKT) is approved by the American Psychological Association (APA) to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. TKT maintains responsibility for this program and its content. For more detailed information on the current CE ruling in Georgia, or if you are licensed in another state or country, please click here.
- COUNSELORS: The Knowledge Tree has been approved by the National Board for Certified Counselors (NBCC) as an Approved Continuing Education Provider (ACEP), ACEP No. 7153. Programs that do not qualify for NBCC credit are clearly identified. The Knowledge Tree is solely responsible for all aspects of the programs. For more detailed information regarding CE approvals, please click here.
- SOCIAL WORKERS: This workshop is approved for 6 core hours through the Georgia Society for Clinical Social Work (GSCSW), approval #020922. If you are licensed in another state or country, please click here for more detailed information.
- MARRIAGE & FAMILY THERAPISTS: Many states will accept APA and/or NBCC approved continuing education hours for Marriage & Family Therapists, but please check your specific state’s rules & regulations. For Georgia specific information regarding MFT approval, please go to our CE Information page, by clicking here and scroll down to the map of Georgia.
To view our various workshop policies, including our multi-workshop discount & refund policy, please click here.
We are an approved vendor for the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) for easy reimbursement of educational expenses for VA employees.
Blank Page Issues? We have received some reports about compatibility issues with our website while attempting to pay for a workshop resulting in blank pages. According to our website host, this is a known security issue with Internet Explorer (particularly when someone is about to use a credit card). Microsoft stopped supporting Internet Explorer in January 2016, and they updated it to Microsoft Edge. Our website is updated constantly to offer the highest level of security. If you experience issues while using Internet Explorer, we recommend updating your browser to Edge or using another browser (e.g., Google Chrome, Safari, or FireFox). This should fix the issue and be more secure for you in general. Or, you may always enroll another way here. We apologize for any inconvenience.