To access the discount form for registering for multiple workshops, please click here.
6 Ethics or Core Continuing Education Clock Hours for Psychologists (through APA) and Counselors, 6 Ethics Continuing Education Clock Hours for Social Workers & Marriage and Family Therapists
Both the Georgia Board of Psychology (Emergency Rule OCGA § 43-39-15) and the Georgia Board of Professional Counselors, Social Workers and Marriage & Family Therapists (Emergency Board Rule 135-9-0.3-.01) have approved Live-Streaming Webinars and Online Pre-recorded Webinars to be counted the same as a live training (even for Ethics) due to COVID-19 for the remainder of this renewal period. Both emergency bills have been signed by the Governor and are official!
Presented by: Becky Beaton-York, Ph.D.
Dr. Beaton-York has been on the Georgia Psychological Association's Ethics Committee since 2010 and Ethics Chair since July 2014. She was also the Ethics Chair for the Licensed Professional Counselor’s Association of Georgia (LPCA-GA) for two years and has taught literally hundreds of ethics workshops since 1999. You may have seen her on one of the 60 episodes that she filmed as the featured psychologist on TLC's "Hoarding: Buried Alive." She has also made recent appearances on The Anderson Cooper Show, Good Morning America, and CNN Headline News. Dr. Beaton-York's primary passion is teaching and mentoring, which inspired her to start The Knowledge Tree. She has served as Adjunct Faculty for Georgia State University and now Emory’s Department of Psychology. Dr. Beaton-York was voted Counselor Educator of the Year by LPCA-GA in 2005 and received their Lifetime Achievement Award in 2015.
This workshop addresses the most common ethical issue therapist are reported for, a boundary violation. Dr. Beaton-York will describe how most boundary violations occur as a result of well-meaning therapists trying too hard to be helpful. She will review and apply decision-making research to discover when you might be about to make faulty choices and ways to prevent going down that road. This discussion will also include ways to be aware of your own implicit bias vs. intuition. Dr. Beaton-York will summarize what you need to include in your Informed Consent to Treatment for individuals, couples, families, groups, and collaterals as well as supervision/consultation to prevent boundary violations before they ever begin. We will review the ethical guidelines concerning boundaries and the much less obvious ways these have played out in multiple real-world examples. Lastly, Dr. Beaton-York will define Standard of Care (SOC) and the importance of considering SOC while making complicated decisions.
- Discuss how most boundary violations occur as a result of well-meaning therapists trying too hard to be helpful.
- Apply decision-making research to discover when you might be about to make faulty choices and ways to prevent going down that road.
- Compare ways to know the difference between your own implicit bias vs. intuition.
- Summarize what you need to include in your Informed Consent to Treatment for individuals, couples, families, groups, and collaterals as well as supervision/consultation to prevent boundary violations before they ever begin.
- Review the ethical guidelines concerning boundaries and the much less obvious ways these have played out in multiple real-world examples.
- Define Standard of Care and the importance of considering SOC while making complicated decisions.
What people are saying about Dr. Beaton-York's Ethics workshops:
- “Dr. Beaton has somehow managed to be just as engaging over the Internet as she is in person!! I’m thoroughly impressed.” K.D.
- "I love her personality! Her laugh is very contagious. Dr. Becky is able to present ethics in a really interesting and personally relevant way!" P.T.
- "Great presenter - energetic, funny, & amazingly well-informed" - C.H.
- "Becky's presentations are always interesting and informative, even online!! There is always something new that I learn, even after 30 years of practice!" - N.M.
- "I was EXTREMELY impressed by Dr. Beaton. Her deep, extensive knowledge, outgoing and engaging personality made this workshop one of the BEST I've ever been to!" E.H.
- "Loved the animal pictures in the PowerPoint & appreciate Becky throwing in real life examples/experiences to maintain our interest & help with understanding/comprehension!" T.M.
- "Becky Beaton is a fantastic presenter. The Best!" H.V.
- "Dr. Becky is engaging, funny, & knowledgeable." R.T.
To view our various workshop policies, including our refund policy, please click here.
6 Ethics or Core CE Clock Hours:
- Ph.D.s: The Knowledge Tree (TKT) is approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. TKT maintains responsibility for this program and its content.
- LPCs: This workshop is approved for Ethics or Core Hours for Counselors through LPCA of Georgia, approval #2020-06-18-037AW
- SWs & MFTs: This workshop is approved for Ethics Hours for Social Workers and Marriage and Family Therapists via LPCA of Georgia through reciprocal agreement with the Composite Board.