IFS and Polyvagal Theory: Healing Through Compassionate Connection™ - 6 CEUs
To access the discount form for registering for multiple workshops or participants, please click here.
When & Where:
- Date: Friday, May 17, 2024
- If you cannot attend this workshop on 5/17, you can register for the on-demand version here: https://www.theknowledgetree.org/p/ifs-and-polyvag...
- Time: 10:30am - 5:30pm Eastern Time
- CE Hours Included: 6 Core (please see below for more information)
- Location: Live Interactive Webinar (“Synchronous”) on Zoom
- Investment: $140 before Friday, May 3 at 5:00pm Eastern Time, $160 after
- Presented by: Alexia Rothman, Ph.D. (see bio below)
- Workshop Recording: A recording of this workshop is available to review for 60 days after the presentation. However, participants must attend live to receive the "Synchronous" CE Certificate.
- Instruction Level: Intermediate
- Target Audience: Psychologists, Counselors, Social Workers, Marriage & Family Therapists, Psychotherapists, Other Mental Health Professionals
- Previous training in IFS and Polyvagal Theory strongly suggested (On-Demand: A Polyvagal Approach to Preventing Burnout and Vicarious Trauma with Deb Dana and On-Demand: An Introduction to the Internal Family Systems (IFS) Model: Theory & Practice are great places to start!)
In this workshop, you will learn how to:
- Identify the basic principles of Polyvagal Theory and how PVT can inform and enhance application of any psychotherapeutic modality.
- Discuss how understanding Polyvagal Theory can help therapists implement IFS more safely and effectively, especially in the systems of clients with complex trauma.
- Utilize IFS strategies to shift clients’ nervous systems towards regulation and help them access their own capacity for healing.
- Develop skills to help clients foster attuned, trusting relationships with their hyperaroused and hypoaroused parts, as well as parts that strategically utilize adaptive survival responses, such as fight, flight, freezing, and numbing, for protection.
- Describe the impact of the therapist’s internal state on clinical work and how clinicians can use this awareness to facilitate client regulation and healing.
- Analyze, through observation and discussion of real video examples, how to seamlessly integrate IFS and PVT in treatment.
Despite the diversity of content that brings clients to therapy, difficulty regulating their emotional experience is at the heart of their struggles. Clients can feel hijacked by extreme emotional states, uncomfortable in their own skin, or think or behave in ways they wish they wouldn’t. Polyvagal Theory (PVT) helps us understand what is happening on a biological level when our clients are emotionally dysregulated or stuck in adaptive survival states, such as fight, flight, freeze, or numb. Internal Family Systems Therapy (IFS) offers a compassionate, non-pathologizing approach to healing the wounded, burdened, and traumatized parts of clients’ systems and increasing internal harmony and connection. This workshop explores the integration of IFS therapy and Polyvagal Theory to help clinicians more safely and effectively use the IFS model in treatment.
Presented by: Alexia Rothman, Ph.D.
Agenda (Eastern Time):
- 10:00am - 10:30am | Sign-In and Welcome
- 10:30am - 12:00pm | Session
- 12:00pm - 12:10pm | Break
- 12:10pm - 1:40pm | Session
- 1:40pm - 2:20pm | Lunch Break
- 2:20pm - 3:50pm | Session
- 3:50pm - 4:00pm | Break
- 4:00pm - 5:30pm | Session
- 5:30pm | Continuing Education Certificates Available
What people are saying about this workshop:
- "I am now a super fan of Dr. Alexia Rothman! Her presentation was so clear, calming, and engaging all at the same time which I feel is so difficult to achieve. Wonderful presentation, valuable information!" - AC, LCSW
- "This was the most well organized and stimulating CE I have done online. I will be signing up for more! Dr. Alexia Rothman was knowledgeable, well-spoken, and personable.” - KN, LCSW
- "Fantastic, great content, enhanced my knowledge on two approaches I love and value. I gained much more in depth knowledge of PVT" - KCF, LMSW
- "I thought this workshop was fabulous! I was not very familiar with IFS before this workshop but learned a lot of great skills to use moving forward." - MC, LCSW
- "She knows her stuff. She's absolutely lovely. My baseline for polyvagal theory was low. Applying the psychoeducation piece of polyvagal into my IFS work will only enhance my effectiveness. My clients will love this." - CD, LMSW
- "I always enjoy Dr. Rothman. She has wonderful energy that is inviting and engaging. I could see she put a lot of thought and energy into the presentation. I will attend whatever programs Dr. Rothman would like to present." - SLF, LPC
- "Dr. Rothman did a great job in presenting material that combined two different concepts. She was able to talk about IFS and PVT separately yet explain how they work together to treat a client. Basically and amazingly was able to teach two workshops in one." - AB
- "Alexia was a fantastic presenter-very well versed in the subject matter and clearly explained the complexity of both PVT and IFS and was masterful at demonstrating and explaining the connection and use of both. I am grateful to Alexia for the clarity with which she was able to present this topic and for including so many of the nuances of IFS as well as the ways in which she made my understanding deeper by using herself and giving examples of cases she's run into in her own practice." - AS, LCSW
- "Magical, just like the client stated at the end of the video. Dr. Rothman truly embodies the art & magnificence of IFS! I very much appreciate your time today, for sharing your wealth of knowledge, & for your commitment to this work!" - KW, LMSW
- "It was extremely informative and I can easily integrate the material into my practice immediately. I appreciated the personal touches that the presenter was willing to disclose, which allowed me to learn from a bottom up perspective." - PM, Psychologist
- "A great compliment to previous PV trainings--actually allows PV to be more applicable to experiential work, in my opinion, rather than just psychoeducational. Very knowledgeable of and committed to both the IFS and PV framework. Her high value for experiential therapy was undeniable as well as brought to the training itself via opening meditation and closing video presentation. So so helpful!" - SF, LPC
6 Core CE Clock Hours Included - Details by License Type Below:
- PSYCHOLOGISTS: The Knowledge Tree is approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. The Knowledge Tree maintains responsibility for this program and its content. For more detailed information on the current CE ruling in Georgia, or if you are licensed in another state or country, please click here.
- COUNSELORS: The Knowledge Tree has been approved by the National Board for Certified Counselors (NBCC) as an Approved Continuing Education Provider (ACEP), ACEP No. 7153. Programs that do not qualify for NBCC credit are clearly identified. The Knowledge Tree is solely responsible for all aspects of the programs. Please click here for more detailed information.
- Counselors Licensed in Canada: This workshop is approved for 6 credit hours through the Canadian Counseling and Psychotherapy Association (CCPA), event code: 64966988.
- SOCIAL WORKERS: TKT has applied for approval for this workshop through the Georgia Society for Clinical Social Work (GSCSW). If you are licensed in another state or country, please click here for more detailed information.
- MARRIAGE & FAMILY THERAPISTS: This workshop is approved for 6 core CE hours through the Georgia Association for Marriage & Family Therapy (GAMFT), approval #007-2024. If you are licensed in another state or country, please click here for more detailed information.
To view our various workshop policies, including our multi-workshop discount & refund policy, please click here.
We are an approved vendor for the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs for easy reimbursement of educational expenses for VA employees.
Neither the Knowledge Tree nor its speakers have received any commercial support for this program or its contents and will not receive any commercial support prior to or during this program.
Blank Page Issues? We have received some reports about compatibility issues with our website while attempting to pay for a workshop resulting in blank pages. According to our website host, this is a known security issue with Internet Explorer (particularly when someone is about to use a credit card). Microsoft stopped supporting Internet Explorer in January 2016, and they updated it to Microsoft Edge. Our website is updated constantly to offer the highest level of security. If you experience issues while using Internet Explorer, we recommend updating your browser to Edge or using another browser (e.g., Google Chrome, Safari, or FireFox). This should fix the issue and be more secure for you in general. Or, you may always enroll another way here. We apologize for any inconvenience.