Motivational Interviewing: A Searchlight for Motivation with Ambivalent Clients - 5 CEUs
To access the discount form for registering for multiple workshops or participants, please click here.
When & Where:
- Date: Friday, November 18, 2022
- If you cannot attend this workshop on 11/18, you can register for the on-demand version here: https://www.theknowledgetree.org/p/motivational-in...
- Time: 10:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. EDT
- CE Hours Included: 5 Core (see below for details)
- Location: Live Interactive Webinar (“Synchronous”) on Zoom
- Investment: $115 before Friday, November 4 at 5:00pm EDT, $130 after
- Presented by: Angela Bethea-Walsh, Ph.D. (see bio below)
- Workshop Recording: A recording of this workshop is available to review for 60 days after the presentation. However, participants must attend live to receive the "Synchronous" CE Certificate.
- Identify the limitations of a confrontational helping style with ambivalent individuals or in response to relationship discord.
- Describe the “Spirit” of Motivational Interviewing (MI).
- Describe the four processes of MI (Engaging, Focusing, Evoking, Planning).
- Practice strategies to respond effectively to clients’ reluctance or “resistance” to change.
- Utilize three MI principles or interviewing skills to elicit intrinsic motivation to change in a non-confrontational style.
- Explain ways to reinforce “change talk”.
- Develop a plan for how to integrate MI into clinical practice.
Angela R. Bethea-Walsh, Ph.D., Licensed Psychologist and member of the Motivational Interviewing Network of Trainers (MINT) will provide a full-day introductory-level MI training designed for health care providers. This level of training is appropriate for individuals with minimal or moderate exposure to Motivational Interviewing.
Motivational Interviewing (MI) is an evidence-based, person-centered clinical treatment developed to engage individuals into treatment in contrast to the traditionally confrontational and sometimes demoralizing treatment that historically has been practiced in the healthcare field.
This workshop will address how to use MI methods with ambivalent clients. Dr. Bethea-Walsh will also discuss how to use MI methods to get unstuck with clients who are reluctant or “resistant” to change.
Dr. Bethea-Walsh proposes to present the underlying “Spirit” and principles of MI. She will present an overview of MI methods within “The four MI processes” framework: engaging, focusing, evoking, and planning. Identifying “change talk” (language about changing) and “sustain talk” (language about not changing/maintaining status quo) will be presented and discussed. Open Questions, Affirmations, Reflections, and Summaries (OARS) will be presented as methods designed to increase individuals’ motivation for change and decrease or “dance with” relationship discord (formerly referred to as “rolling with resistance”). Attention will be given to when it is not appropriate to use MI.
Participants will be guided through exercises including live demonstration and practice. These exercises are designed to help participants have “a taste” of MI interventions in contrast to more confrontational helping styles.
*Dr. Bethea-Walsh will not directly measure participants’ adherence to MI Spirit and methods or competency using MI during the workshop. Participants will not be trained to proficiency or as “experts” in MI during this workshop. If you find this workshop to be helpful, you may be interested in taking Dr. Bethea-Walsh's more advanced training after taking this one: https://www.theknowledgetree.org/p/motivational-in....
Presented by: Angela Bethea-Walsh, Ph.D.
Angela R. Bethea-Walsh, Ph.D., is a Licensed Psychologist in Georgia and a member of the international Motivational Interviewing Network of Trainers (MINT). For over 10 years, she has been practicing Motivational Interviewing (MI) and training health care providers in MI practice. She has conducted MI training in a wide variety of settings, including primary care, emergency departments in trauma centers, inpatient and outpatient mental health/addictions, college counseling, corrections, integrated behavioral health, providers in mandated treatment for professional athletes, and school settings. She provides small group MI consultation to health care providers. She is also the Chief Behavioral Health Officer for Corporate Health Partners, where she provides MI coaching for health coaches, program directors and other administrators. Her trainings are fast-paced, highly informative and interactive. She is the owner of Bethea Consulting and Psychological Services, P.C., a private practice located in Atlanta, Georgia. For more information about Dr. Bethea-Walsh, her clinical work and workshop experience, go to: http://www.betheacps.com
- 9:30 - 10:00 Registration
- 10:00 - 11:30 Welcome and Morning Session
- 11:30 - 11:45 Break
- 11:45 - 1:00 Morning Session (Cont.)
- 1:00 - 2:00 Lunch Break
- 2:00 - 3:00 Afternoon Session
- 3:00 - 3:15 Break
- 3:15 - 4:30 Afternoon Session (Cont.)
- 4:30 - Continuing Education Certificates Available
What people are saying about this workshop:
- "The presentation was professional and informative and provided helpful information and realistic steps and techniques that can be taken back and utilized in practice." - LT, APC
- "Dr. Bethea-Walsh was great and kept it interesting. There were a lot of very helpful examples." - AH, LPC
- "Dr. Angela Bethea-Walsh is very knowledgeable about Motivational Interviewing and does a great job fielding questions!" - CL, APC
- "Excellent!! I learned how MI can be used with other modalities." - NJ, LCSW
- "Very engaging. I learned a lot and it changed my view on ambivalence." - NT
- "Enjoyed this very much- content is applicable to all of my clients!" - PS, APC
- "Very knowledgeable and presented well" - VS, Psychologist
- "I thought she was great - very personable and knowledgeable." - TPJ
5 Core CE Clock Hours:
- Psychologists: The Knowledge Tree (TKT) is approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. TKT maintains responsibility for this program and its content.
- Georgia Psychologists: All online webinars (both real-time "synchronous" and on-demand "asynchronous") count the same as "live" throughout 2022 (including ethics). There is also a proposed Board rule to make this change permanent. Please stay tuned for updates.
- Licensed in another state: The Knowledge Tree is a Continuing Education Sponsor Approved (CESA) by APA, so all of our workshops should satisfy your CE requirements, but please check your state rules.
- Counselors: The Knowledge Tree has been approved by NBCC as an Approved Continuing Education Provider, ACEP No. 7153. Programs that do not qualify for NBCC credit are clearly identified. The Knowledge Tree is solely responsible for all aspects of the programs.
- Licensed in another state? The Knowledge Tree has been approved by NBCC as an Approved Continuing Education Provider (ACEP) #7153, so all of our workshops should satisfy your CE requirements, but please check your state rules regarding live webinars vs. live workshops.
- Licensed in Canada? This workshop is approved for 5 credit hours through CCPA, event code 64959238.
- Social Workers: This workshop is approved for 5 core CE hours through GSCSW, approval #070922. Now in Georgia, Live Webinars count the same as a Live In-Person Workshop.
- Licensed in another state? Please see the highlighted section below.*
- Marriage & Family Therapists: This workshop is approved for 5 core CE hours through GAMFT, approval #107-2022. Now in Georgia, Live Webinars count the same as a Live In-Person Workshop.
- Licensed in another state? Please see the highlighted section below.*
- *Licensed in another state as a social worker or marriage & family therapist? Many states will accept CEs for Social Workers & MFTs if that workshop has approved status from another state. Additionally, we have national approval for all our courses through APA & NBCC. Many states accept APA & NBCC approved workshops, but please check your specific state rules & regulations.
To view our various workshop policies, including our multi-workshop discount & refund policy, please click here.
We are an approved vendor for the U.S. Department of Veteran's Affairs for easy reimbursement of educational expenses for VA employees.
Blank Page Issues? We have received some reports about compatibility issues with our website while attempting to pay for a workshop resulting in blank pages. According to our website host, this is a known security issue with Internet Explorer (particularly when someone is about to use a credit card). Microsoft stopped supporting Internet Explorer in January 2016, and they updated it to Microsoft Edge. Our website is updated constantly to offer the highest level of security. If you experience issues while using Internet Explorer, we recommend updating your browser to Edge or using another browser (e.g., Google Chrome, Safari, or FireFox). This should fix the issue and be more secure for you in general. Or, you may always enroll another way here. We apologize for any inconvenience.