About Us & Our Workshops
** For your safety during these unprecedented times of COVID-19, all of our scheduled CE workshops for the foreseeable future will be available online via Live or On-Demand Webinars. Please stay safe. **
About Dr. Becky Beaton & The Knowledge Tree
Hello, and thank you for visiting The Knowledge Tree!
I'm Dr. Becky Beaton, the Founder & Director of The Knowledge Tree. I also founded The Anxiety & Stress Management Institute (ASMI) back in 2004, where I created and managed the ASMI workshop program. I have since sold ASMI, and I am now teaching my workshops through The Knowledge Tree. I'm also excited about the amazing line-up of speakers we have for the upcoming year, which includes the excellent instructors I've sponsored in the past as well as other internationally renowned experts teaching the topics you have all been requesting.
In addition to providing continuing education via both live and online training, The Knowledge Tree is your place to visit to become inspired, grow, and get excited about cutting-edge treatments and ideas. I want to hear from you and what you find interesting, and I will do my best to create either a brief video or a continuing education workshop around that topic. This is a gathering site for us to share knowledge and wisdom and for you to benefit from being part of our community.
A little more about who I am.....I'm a Licensed Psychologist and a Licensed Professional Counselor, and I've been practicing therapy since 1991.
- I studied at the University of California, Santa Barbara (B.A.) and Georgia State University (M.S., Ed.S. and, Ph.D. in Counseling Psychology).
- I am currently Adjunct Faculty for Emory University's Department of Psychology, and I have been adjunct faculty for Georgia State University's Department of Counseling Psychology.
- I founded, directed, and sold a large therapy practice, The Anxiety & Stress Management Institute, from 2004-2019.
- I co-founded OCD Georgia, a non-profit affiliate of the International OCD Foundation.
- I had an incredible opportunity to be the psychologist for Discovery Studios'/TLC's hit series "Hoarding: Buried Alive" for four years and 60 episodes.
- The TV series opened the door for several other media experiences on Anderson Cooper, CNN, Good Morning America, and others.
- I love being a mentor and providing inspiration to fellow therapists. I've supervised hundreds of therapists to licensure, and I've provided practice development and ethics consultations to many more. I generally run about eight Business of Practice Consultation Groups each month for solo practitioners as well as larger practice owners.
- I serve as the Ethics Chair for the Georgia Psychological Association, and previously I was the Ethics chair for the Licensed Professional Counselor's Association of Georgia.
- I've developed numerous forms available for therapists in private or group practices based on years of managing a practice, ethics experience, and being hired by attorneys to provide expertise in malpractice lawsuits.
- I'm passionate about teaching, and I've been providing Continuing Education workshops for therapists as well as Stress Management workshops for businesses since 1997.
Most importantly, I've had the privilege to personally witness or hear about the journeys of literally thousands of clients: my own clients, my associates', my supervisees', my students', my ethics consultees', etc. It's because of these clients, their challenges & resilience that I've become passionate about teaching cutting edge treatments that work better and faster and encouraging all therapists to be grounded in ethics and integrity. I'm also passionate about mentoring therapists to develop fulfilling practices and balanced lives. My hope is that you will share what you learn at The Knowledge Tree with your clients, and even your families and communities and that you find us to be a place of refuge and inspiration.
Jordan Barbeau is the Business Manager and Workshop Coordinator for The Knowledge Tree. Jordan has a Bachelor's of Business Administration in Marketing and has extensive experience in online and social marketing. He also became a Hootsuite Social Marketing Certified Professional in 2019. Jordan has aided numerous small businesses and individuals. He has years of experience managing the details of the Continuing Education Workshops for The Anxiety & Stress Management Institute alongside Dr. Beaton in addition to helping to establish Sati Yoga in Atlanta, Georgia. Jordan has a diverse skill set outside of marketing, with experience in writing, accounting, web design, and more. Most importantly, he is basically The Knowledge Tree's go-to-guy for just about everything!
We have recruited some of the best speakers in the Atlanta area as well as from around the country. Dr. Beaton either attends a full workshop presented by our speakers or she personally interviews and hosts a "workshop audition" for each person who trains for The Knowledge Tree. Several other clinicians (feel free to volunteer) also attend each audition, and the speaker is evaluated in multiple areas. We evaluate each speaker's level of expertise on the topic presented, teaching skill, relatability, humor, humility, visual aids and handouts, experiential exercises (if applicable), cutting-edge concepts and research, inclusive language & ability to address diversity, current references, enthusiasm, and the speaker's ability to hold your interest for multiple hours!!