On-Demand: Black Lives Matter: Antiracist Practice with African American Clients - 6 CEs
To access the discount form for registering for multiple workshops, please click here.
- CEs: 6 Core Continuing Education hours for Psychologists, Counselors, Social Workers, and Marriage & Family Therapists (please see below for more details).
- Format: On-Demand Webinar ("Asynchronous") ~ At your leisure to be viewed at your own pace. You may pause, rewind, and fast forward at any point during the videos. You are in complete control of how you view this workshop. However, you are required to watch at least 90% of the videos to receive CEs. The PowerPoint handout will be displayed in the video along with the presenter, and there is also a separate document for printing. There is a quiz at the end to ensure comprehension and is required by all CE approval organizations for On-Demand workshops.
- Investment: $135
- Describe how racism influences mental health treatment disparities experienced by African Americans
- Describe cultural characteristics common among African Americans engaging in mental health treatment
- Discuss strategies to minimize the negative impact of the clinician’s privilege, power, and unconscious bias on clinical practice with African Americans
- Identify strategies to increase working alliance development with African Americans
- List two validated assessment measures of race-based trauma
- Summarize a peer-reviewed model to treat race-based trauma and foster resilience
Clinicians want treatment to work for all clients, but the research is clear that African Americans often benefit less from treatment than White Americans. The status quo in mental health often falls short of ethical and effective care for this population. Dr. Davis will utilize didactics, self-assessments, clinical vignettes, case examples, and experiential exercises to assist clinicians in applying an antiracist lens to treat African Americans. This workshop will focus on how to eliminate mental health treatment disparities, develop a stronger working alliance, and treat race-based trauma.
Presented by: Telsie Davis, Ph.D.
Telsie A. Davis is 19-year veteran clinician who has presented in over 60 international, national, state, and local invited talks and workshops. She specializes in culturally equitable and evidence-based treatment for African American women, and is founder of The Cultural Equity Institute, formerly, The Davis Center. Dr. Davis earned a B.S. in Applied Psychology from Georgia Tech and her Ph.D. in Counseling Psychology from Georgia State University. She completed her predoctoral internship and two years of postdoctoral fellowship training in trauma and substance use among African American women at Emory University School of Medicine. Dr. Davis also works as a psychologist at the Atlanta VA and is Co-Chair of the Diversity Rotation for the APA-accredited Internship and Postdoctoral Training Program. She is also an Assistant Professor and Assistant Vice Chair for Faculty Development-Diversity and Inclusion in the Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences at Emory University School of Medicine.
What people are saying about this workshop:
- "One of the best CE experiences I have attended." - MEV, LCSW
- "It was great! Dr. Davis is incredibly knowledgable, authentic, and thoughtful. I've done several anti-racist trainings and this certainly helped continue my antiracist work, but was particularly valuable in understanding antiracism specific to providing care as a psychotherapist." - JJ, LCSW
- "Dr. Davis was very knowledgeable. I appreciated the videos she showed us. I'm a visual learner and some of those videos I intend to show in some of my Zoom classes." - MC, LMSW
- "Dr. Davis is an exceptional presenter - warm, engaging, attuned to the group; made it feel safe to ask questions and to not know. I will sign up for her future workshops anytime she offers them. She has much to teach us - she leads us to awareness...the best way to learn. Masterful." - FA, LPC
- "Dr. Davis is knowledgeable, sensitive, transparent, a great role model. I love listening to her." - EG, LMFT
6 Core or Related CE Clock Hours:
- Psychologists: This workshop is approved for 6 Core CE hours. The Knowledge Tree (TKT) is approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. TKT maintains responsibility for this program and its content.
- Georgia Psychologists: All online webinars (both live/synchronous and on-demand/asynchronous) count the same as live for 2021 (including ethics). Therefore, this workshop is approved for 6 Core CE hours. The Board states it will go back to the pre-COVID rules in 2022. You may want to consider completing all 40 CEs this year while you have multiple viewing options.
- Licensed in another state as a Psychologist: The Knowledge Tree is a Continuing Education Sponsor Approved (CESA) by APA, so all our workshops should satisfy your CE requirements, but please check your specific state rules.
- Counselors: This workshop was approved for 6 Core CE hours through the Licensed Professional Counselors Association (LPCA) of Georgia, approval #2021-05-12-453MLW.
- Georgia Counselors: This workshop satisfies 6 "Core Hours" as an "on-demand/asynchronous" course. For more details about "On-Demand" hours, please see the blue highlighted section below.
- Licensed in another state? Please see the yellow highlighted section below.*
- Social Workers: This workshop is approved for 6 Core CE hours through the Georgia Society for Clinical Social Work, approval #050821.
- Georgia Social Workers: This workshop satisfies 6 "Core Hours" as an "on-demand/asynchronous" course. For more details about "On-Demand" hours, please see the blue highlighted section below.
- Licensed in another state? Please see the yellow highlighted section below.*
- Marriage and Family Therapists: This workshop is approved for 6 CE hours through the Georgia Association for Marriage and Family Therapy, approval #074-2021.
- Georgia Marriage & Family Therapists: This workshop satisfies 6 "Core Hours" as an "on-demand/asynchronous" course. For more details about "On-Demand" hours, please see the blue highlighted section below.
- Licensed in another state? Please see the yellow highlighted section below.
- *Licensed in another state as a Counselor, Social Worker, or Marriage & Family Therapist? Most states will accept CEs for Counselors, Social Workers, & MFTs if that workshop has approved status from another state, and this workshop is approved for all three licenses in Georgia. Additionally, we have National Approval for all of our courses through the American Psychological Association (APA).Many states will also accept APA-approved courses, but please check your specific state rules and regulations.
- The Georgia Board of Professional Counselors, Social Workers and Marriage & Family Therapists & Ethics: For all Masters Licensed Therapists in Georgia, On-Demand ("Asynchronous") Webinars are allowed to comprise up to 15 hours of the total 35 hours required per renewal period (10 hours of On-Demand are expressly permitted, and the extra 5 would be your optional Independent Study hours). Please see our Live Webinars for more synchronous options if needed. And for details regarding this new rule (Oct 2020) from the Secretary of State, click here.
To view our various workshop policies, including our refund policy, please click here.
Blank Page Issues? We have received some reports about compatibility issues with our website while attempting to pay for a workshop resulting in blank pages. According to our website host, this is a known security issue with Internet Explorer (particularly when someone is about to use a credit card). Microsoft stopped supporting Internet Explorer in January 2016, and they updated it to Microsoft Edge. Our website is updated constantly to offer the highest level of security. If you experience issues while using Internet Explorer, we recommend updating your browser to Edge or using another browser (e.g., Google Chrome, Safari, or FireFox). This should fix the issue and be more secure for you in general. Or, you may always enroll another way here. We apologize for any inconvenience.