On-Demand: Changing the OCD Mindset - Rapidly - 3.5 CEUs
To access the discount form for registering for multiple workshops or participants, please click here.
- CE Hours Included: 3.5 Core (see below for more information)
- Format: On-Demand Webinar (“Asynchronous”) ~ At your leisure to be viewed at your own pace. You may pause, rewind, and fast-forward at any point during the videos. You are in complete control of how you view this workshop. It also comes with a PowerPoint handout and multiple handouts & forms. There is a quiz at the end to ensure viewing and required by all CE approval organizations.
- Investment: $98 (provides lifetime access!)
- Presented by: Reid Wilson, Ph.D.
- Target Audience: Graduate-level
mental health professionals. Clients are welcome - while the workshop will be taught to therapists for continuing education, the strategies and concepts are really helpful for clients to hear and understand for immediate implementation.
- Prepare a client in logically dismantling the common dysfunctional frames of reference of OCD
- Develop a new, internally-consistent paradoxical frame of reference
- Explain how to activate “approach” emotions toward anxious uncertainty during exposure
- Assess the importance of altering perception, as opposed to utilizing technique, to help clients with OCD
- Demonstrate how to activate the therapeutic strategy moment-by-moment within threatening situations
The rigid beliefs and bizarre behavior of clients with obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD) can seem intimidating to any therapist. But if you look under the hood, the driving force of this dominant disorder is always the same: “Something could go terribly wrong, and it will be my fault.” Treatment can be difficult, but it is not complex. Participants will learn the core strategies of cognitive treatment that can radically and swiftly shift the client’s point of view regarding both their relationship with OCD and the tactics of change. The principles will be illustrated by brief video clips of the author's live demonstrations. These will include developing placebo and dismantling their dysfunctional logical system. The therapist “sets the hook” by ensuring that the client can collaborate on designing paradoxical behavioral experiments as their first homework assignments.
Presented by: Reid Wilson, Ph.D.
REID WILSON, PhD, a licensed psychologist who directs the Anxiety Disorders Treatment Center in Chapel Hill, NC. He is author of the newly-released Stopping the Noise in Your Head and the classic self-help book Don't Panic. He is co-author, with Edna Foa, of Stop Obsessing!, as well as Anxious Kids, Anxious Parents and Playing with Anxiety with Lynn Lyons. He designed American Airlines' first national program for the fearful flier and served as the expert on anxiety for WebMD’s Mental Health Community. He is a Founding Clinical Fellow of the Anxiety and Depression Association of America (ADAA) and Fellow of the Association for Behavioral and Cognitive Therapies (ABCT). In 2014 he received ADAA’s highest award, and he received the 2019 Service Award by the International OCD Foundation. He has appeared on The Oprah Winfrey Show, Good Morning America, CNN, The Katie Show, A&E’s Hoarders, and MTV’s True Life. His free self-help website – www.anxieties.com – serves 600,000 visitors per year. His newest self-help course can be found on https://anxieties.com/257/
I. Efficacy of briefer treatments
II. Therapist Tasks
III. Distinguishing Signal vs. Noise
IV. Get off their content!
A. “Content is irrelevant, trash, [nothing]”
B. “I want to not know if [content]” vs. “I want to not know — period”
VI. Step back… to step up
VII. Talking to OCD
A. “Great”; “Thank you!”; “Give that to me again!”
B. Double-paradox of “Good!”
1. Access neuropathway
2. Modify neuropathway
VIII. Letting go of/turning away from the transaction
IX. And sit with generic uncertainty
A. Degrade uncertainty
1. Go get specific to sit with generic
2. Is tolerating uncertainty hard? No!
X. “2 parts of you”
A. “Therapeutic voice” and “That vulnerable side of me”
XI. Intrude into the closed system
A. Looking for leverage
B. “Bolt it down!”
C. Making OCD small
1. “You gotta get bigger, tougher”
A. Disrupt the pattern
B. Add consequence
XIII. Operate as tho/Act as tho…
A. “everything is fine”
B. “nothing to see here”
What people are saying about this workshop:
- "Top notch. I really like Reid's presentation style - he makes learning very enjoyable." - SZ, LPC
- "I appreciated the use of the strategic approach to use as an educational tool for clients. The presenter did an excellent job." - JK, LCSW
- "Dr. Wilson is a total inspiration and the work he's influenced me to do has undoubtedly helped HUNDREDS of clients. THANK YOU" - JO
- "Very knowledgeable and loved his personal approach to OCD, where tx can oftentimes feel so impersonal" - RE, LCMHC
- "Dr. Reid was incredibly knowledgeable and made the material accessible and practical." - JW, APC
- "Loved this way to approach OCD" - LMK, LPC
- "Enjoyed the presenter's workshop style and information." - RW, LPC
- "Excellent - will help me overall in my practice and very specifically with a present client." - MJG, LPC
- "Enjoyed Reid's knowledge and passion about OCD" - LWK
- "I loved how direct he is. Also, loved the use of athletic metaphors and use of video was extremely helpful to illustrate ideas. As a psychologist who also struggles with OCD, this workshop was extremely helpful to me both professionally and personally. Wonderfully perspective-altering presentation!" - GS, Psychologist
- "I enjoyed his matter-of-fact approach; he makes it simple yet validated the difficulty" - PS, APC
3.5 Core CE Clock Hours:
- Psychologists: The Knowledge Tree (TKT) is approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. TKT maintains responsibility for this program and its content.
- Georgia Psychologists: All online webinars (both real-time "synchronous" and on-demand "asynchronous") count the same as "live" throughout 2022 (including ethics). There is also a proposed Board rule to make this change permanent. Please stay tuned for updates.
- Licensed in another state: The Knowledge Tree is a Continuing Education Sponsor Approved (CESA) by APA, so all of our workshops should satisfy your CE requirements, but please check your state rules.
- Counselors: The Knowledge Tree has been approved by NBCC as an Approved Continuing Education Provider, ACEP No. 7153. Programs that do not qualify for NBCC credit are clearly identified. The Knowledge Tree is solely responsible for all aspects of the programs.
- Georgia Counselors: Per the Georgia Composite Board, Core CE hours are now permitted to be earned through on-demand "asynchronous" webinars, and will count the same as live in-person Core CE hours. Ten asynchronous hours are expressly permitted, and an additional five hours can be used as "independent study" hours.
- Licensed in another state as a Counselor: The Knowledge Tree has been approved by NBCC as an Approved Continuing Education Provider (ACEP) #7153, so all of our workshops should satisfy your CE requirements, but please check your state rules.
- Licensed in Canada as a Counselor: This workshop is approved for 3.5 credit hours through CCPA, event code 64956052.
- Social Workers: This workshop is approved for 3.5 core CE hours through GSCSW, approval #061821. TKT maintains responsibility for this program and its content.
- Georgia Social Workers: Per the Georgia Composite Board, Core CE hours are now permitted to be earned through on-demand "asynchronous" webinars, and will count the same as live in-person Core CE hours. Ten asynchronous hours are expressly permitted, and an additional five hours can be used as "independent study" hours.
- Licensed in another state as a Social Worker: Please see the yellow highlighted section below.*
- Marriage and Family Therapists: This workshop is approved for 3.5 core CE hours through GAMFT, approval #098-2021. TKT maintains responsibility for this program and its content.
- Georgia Marriage & Family Therapists: Per the Georgia Composite Board, Core CE hours are now permitted to be earned through on-demand "asynchronous" webinars, and will count the same as live in-person Core CE hours. Ten asynchronous hours are expressly permitted, and an additional five hours can be used as "independent study" hours.
- Licensed in another state as a Marriage & Family Therapist: Please see the yellow highlighted section just below.
- *Licensed in another state as a Social Worker or Marriage & Family Therapist? Most states will accept CEs for Social Workers, and Marriage & Family Therapists if that workshop has approved status from another state association which ours have been (see above). Additionally, we have national approval for all our courses through APA & NBCC. Many states will accept APA & NBCC approved continuing education hours, but please check your specific state rules & regulations. We strongly recommend saving the course description and educational objectives, the certificate of completion you receive from the activity, and please contact your state board or organization to determine specific filing requirements.
To view our various workshop policies, including our multi-workshop discount & refund policy, please click here.
We are an approved vendor for the U.S. Department of Veteran's Affairs for easy reimbursement of educational expenses for VA employees.
Blank Page Issues? We have received some reports about compatibility issues with our website while attempting to pay for a workshop resulting in blank pages. According to our website host, this is a known security issue with Internet Explorer (particularly when someone is about to use a credit card). Microsoft stopped supporting Internet Explorer in January 2016, and they updated it to Microsoft Edge. Our website is updated constantly to offer the highest level of security. If you experience issues while using Internet Explorer, we recommend updating your browser to Edge or using another browser (e.g., Google Chrome, Safari, or FireFox). This should fix the issue and be more secure for you in general. Or, you may always enroll another way here. We apologize for any inconvenience.