On-Demand: The Ethics of TeleMental Health with Post-COVID Updates and AI - 6 CEUs
To access the discount form for registering for multiple workshops or participants, please click here.
- CE Hours Included: 6 Ethics, Core, or Related (please see below for CE details)
- Includes 6 TeleMental Health Hours addressing the ethics and the law and satisfies
- The Composite Board of Professional Counseling, Social Work, and Marriage and Family Therapists requirement for the state of Georgia
- The Board of Behavioral Sciences requirement for California
- Telemental Health requirements in other states (please email us if you aren't sure)
- The training/renewal requirement for the ASPPB PSYPACT Authority to Practice Interjurisdictional Telepsychology
- Format: On-Demand Webinar (“Asynchronous”) ~ At your leisure to be viewed at your own pace. You may pause, rewind, and fast forward at any point during the videos. You are in complete control of how you view this workshop. However, you are required to watch at least 90% of the videos to receive CEs. The PowerPoint handout will be displayed in the video along with the presenter, and there is also a separate document for printing as well as multiple handouts and forms. There is a quiz at the end to ensure comprehension and is required by all CE approval organizations for on-demand workshops.
- Investment: $140 (provides lifetime access!)
- Presented by:
Becky Beaton-York, Ph.D.
- Target Audience: Psychologists, Counselors, Social Workers, Marriage & Family Therapists, Psychotherapists, Other Mental Health Professionals
- Instruction Level: Intermediate
In this workshop, you will learn how to:
- Explain what constitutes "Telemental Health" (Hint: It's much broader than many people think!)
- Describe how Artificial Intelligence has become a new area of concern regarding technology-assisted media.
- Describe how the HIPAA Business Associate Agreement fits into the HIPAA Security Ruling as it pertains to Electronic Protected Health Information (EPHI) and what you need to know about protecting your electronic transactions and maintaining confidentiality.
- Review the latest evidence regarding TeleMental Health use and client preferences during COVID and predictions going forward, as well as the benefits and limitations of services and effectiveness.
- Assess the dangers of practicing across state lines and the options available to do so legally, including updates on PSYPACT, the Counseling Compact, the Social Worker's Compact, and where the MFTs are on their progress.
- Provide several resources for international practice.
- Identify HIPAA-compatible platforms for video-conferencing, texting, emailing, cloud storage, etc.
- Summarize what you need to include in your Informed Consent to Treatment regarding Telemental Health.
- Demonstrate ways to respond to and manage emergencies, including a thorough assessment of client fit for Telemental Health.
- Explain important Telemental Health details, such as verifying a client's identity and how to bill appropriately for your services.
- Identify the Telemental Health issues related to recommending Apps and Websites and how to do so ethically.
- Discuss the ethical considerations of Social Media such as Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn, Snapchat, Tiktok, and Google searches.
The use of "technology-assisted media" in the delivery of mental health services (or Telemental Health) has generated a lot of confusion and controversy. First of all, many therapists are confused about what even constitutes Telemental Health, which is much more far-reaching than many people realize. Basically, if a device requires electricity and you're using it to administer any level of mental health care, you're practicing Telemental Health. This includes phones (voice and texts), computers & tablets (email, billing, or storage of files), fax machines, the Internet (cloud storage of records, billing transactions, video-conferencing, the use of artificial intelligence, or even recommending apps and websites to clients). There is also a multitude of ethical issues and requirements related to each of these options, and every therapist's ethics code now states we need training in Telemental Health. This is why many licensing boards have passed laws requiring therapists to complete training in Telemental Health. Georgia is a model state for Telemental Health law and regulations. It was one the first to make training a practice requirement back in 2016. However, Dr. Beaton-York will provide information and resources for all 50 states as well as internationally. This workshop will help clarify numerous concerns and address the ethical requirements and considerations we all need to be making, including updated information regarding crossing state lines and HIPAA-compliant requirements that have changed due to COVID-19 followed by the end of the Public Health Emergency on May 11, 2023.
Presented by: Becky Beaton-York, Ph.D.
Dr. Beaton-York has been on the Georgia Psychological Association's Ethics Committee since 2010 and Ethics Chair since July 2014. She was also the Ethics Chair for the Licensed Professional Counselor’s Association of Georgia (LPCA-GA) for two years and has taught literally hundreds of ethics workshops since 2000. You may have seen her on one of the 60 episodes that she filmed as the featured psychologist on TLC's "Hoarding: Buried Alive." She has also made recent appearances on The Anderson Cooper Show, Good Morning America, and CNN Headline News. Dr. Beaton-York's primary passion is teaching and mentoring, which inspired her to start The Knowledge Tree. She has served as Adjunct Faculty at Georgia State University and now Emory's Department of Psychology. Dr. Beaton-York was voted Counselor Educator of the Year by LPCA-GA in 2005 and received their Lifetime Achievement Award in 2015.
What people are saying about Dr. Beaton-York's Ethics & TeleMental Health workshops:
- "Always excellent, the best ethics trainings!" - EP, Psychologist
- "Great presenter - energetic, funny, & amazingly well-informed" - C.H.
- "Becky's presentations are always interesting and informative. There is always something new that I learn, even after 30 years of practice!" - N.M.
- "Truly the most thorough and helpful ethics course I have ever attended." C.G.
- "So good! Best, most informative ethics class I've done!" E.B.
- "I was EXTREMELY impressed by Dr. Beaton. Her deep, extensive knowledge, outgoing and engaging personality made this workshop one of the BEST I've ever been to!" E.H.
- "I love your personality! Your laugh is very contagious. You are able to present boring material in a very interesting and educational way!" P.T.
- "Most important training I've had in years. Becky, as usual, was superior and enjoyable in her presentation." P.T.
- “This was one of the best CEU presentations I’ve attended, thank you. The presenter was very knowledgeable regarding the subject matter and kept me engaged throughout the presentation.” MP, LCSW
- “Fantastically not boring ethics seminar!” SF, LPC
- “This was one of THE BEST seminars I have ever attended!!!” JB
- “Becky magically transforms what could otherwise be dull but useful information into a creative, organized and extremely informative experience. I love her workshops!” BD, LCSW
- “One of the best CE courses I have attended, she was very knowledgeable and interactive with the attendees.” LV, LPC
- “They were wonderful! The touches throughout were very thoughtful and engaging – which was lovely since this was a lengthy workshop. I enjoyed the moments of laughter during the workshop, too. It definitely felt like a workshop I was meant to be in and I am glad I attended.” AG, LAMFT
6 Ethics, Core, or Related “Asynchronous” CE Clock Hours Included - Details by License Type Below:
- PSYCHOLOGISTS: The Knowledge Tree (TKT) is approved by the American Psychological Association (APA) to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. TKT maintains responsibility for this program and its content. For more detailed information on the current CE ruling in Georgia, or if you are licensed in another state or country, please click here.
- COUNSELORS: The Knowledge Tree has been approved by the National Board for Certified Counselors (NBCC) as an Approved Continuing Education Provider (ACEP), ACEP No. 7153. Programs that do not qualify for NBCC credit are clearly identified. The Knowledge Tree is solely responsible for all aspects of the programs. For more detailed information regarding CE approvals, please click here.
- Counselors Licensed in Canada: This workshop is approved for 6 credit hours through the Canadian Counseling and Psychotherapy Association (CCPA), event code: 64962742.
- SOCIAL WORKERS: This workshop is approved for 6 core hours through the Georgia Society for Clinical Social Work (GSCSW), approval #034123. If you are licensed in another state or country, please click here for more detailed information.
- MARRIAGE & FAMILY THERAPISTS: Many states will accept APA and/or NBCC approved continuing education hours for Marriage & Family Therapists, but please check your specific state’s rules & regulations. For Georgia specific information regarding MFT approval, please go to our CE Information page, by clicking here and scroll down to the map of Georgia.
To view our various workshop policies, including our refund policy, please click here.
We are an approved vendor for the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs for easy reimbursement of educational expenses for VA employees.
Blank Page Issues? We have received some reports about compatibility issues with our website while attempting to pay for a workshop resulting in blank pages. According to our website host, this is a known security issue with Internet Explorer (particularly when someone is about to use a credit card). Microsoft stopped supporting Internet Explorer in January 2016, and they updated it to Microsoft Edge. Our website is updated constantly to offer the highest level of security. If you experience issues while using Internet Explorer, we recommend updating your browser to Edge or using another browser (e.g., Google Chrome, Safari, or FireFox). This should fix the issue and be more secure for you in general. Or, you may always enroll another way here. We apologize for any inconvenience.