On-Demand: Special Topics in Motivational Interviewing: Substance Use Disorder, Ambivalent Partners, and Ambivalent Parents - 5 CEUs
To access the discount form for registering for multiple workshops or participants, please click here.
- CE Hours Included: 5 Core (please see below for details)
- Format: On-Demand Webinar (“Asynchronous”) ~ At your leisure to be viewed at your own pace. You may pause, rewind, and fast forward at any point during the videos. You are in complete control of how you view this workshop. It also comes with a PowerPoint and references. There is a quiz at the end to ensure viewing and required by all CE approval organizations.
- Investment: $115
- Presented By: Angela
- Prerequisite: Must have taken an introductory course or have knowledge in Motivational Interviewing prior to registering for this workshop. Click here for Dr. Bethea-Walsh's Introductory Course.
- Identify the benefits of MI with ambivalent individuals or in response to relationship discord as well as specific issues people are facing with COVID-19 stressors.
- Review how the “Spirit” and method of MI can be used to strategically influence a client’s decision to change in ways that are consistent with their values/goals, while respecting autonomy.
- Utilize 3 MI principles or interviewing skills to cultivate change talk specific to ambivalent relationships and substance misuse and relevant issues facing individuals, couples and parents during COVID-19.
- Apply strategies to respond effectively to clients’ reluctance or “resistance” to change.
- Analyze and discuss videotaped demonstrations of MI.
- Develop a plan for how to integrate MI into clinical practice with these populations in particular.
This workshop is designed for individuals who have completed introductory Motivational Interviewing (MI) training and who have practiced MI in applied settings. Dr. Bethea-Walsh will discuss use of MI to increase motivation to change for different clinical populations: individuals engaging in substance misuse and use disorder; ambivalent parents of children receiving treatment; and ambivalent partners in couples therapy. This workshop will review how the “Spirit” and method of MI can be used to strategically influence a client’s decision to change in ways that are consistent with their values/goals, while respecting autonomy. Participants will be guided through small group practice to facilitate a progression from intermediate- to advanced-level of clinical skill development. This workshop will also include video demonstration and live demonstration of MI methods.
Presented by: Angela Bethea-Walsh, Ph.D.
Angela R. Bethea-Walsh, Ph.D., is a Licensed Psychologist in Georgia. She received her doctoral degree in Counseling Psychology from Lehigh University. She completed a 3-year Postdoctoral Fellowship in Clinical Health and Addictions Psychology at Mount Sinai St. Luke’s-Roosevelt Hospital Center, Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons.
She is currently the owner of Bethea Consulting and Psychological Services, P.C. (Bethea CPS), a private practice located in Atlanta, Georgia. As a Psychologist, she specializes in delivering evidence-based, culturally-sensitive interventions to treat problematic substance use, substance use disorders, stress related to racial and sexual identity development, relationship concerns, depression, anxiety (including performance anxiety), insomnia, weight loss, chronic pain and illness management.
She conducts substance use evaluations with collegiate and professional athletes. She provides psychological screens for medical interventions, such as bariatric surgery and fertility/reproduction treatment including 3rd party reproduction (i.e., gestational surrogates). She also provides clinical supervision and consultation.
Dr. Bethea-Walsh is a member of the international Motivational Interviewing Network of Trainers (MINT). For almost 15 years, she has been practicing Motivational Interviewing (MI). She has been training health care providers in MI practice for over 10 years. She has conducted MI training in a wide variety of clinical settings, mandated programs for professional athletes and programs providing support for women involved in sex trafficking. She provides a monthly online consultation group, “MI Change Cre8tors” for healthcare providers feeling stuck in work with ambivalent or “resistant” clients. She is also the Chief Behavioral Officer for Corporate Health Partners, where she provides MI coaching for health coaches, program directors and other administrators. Dr. Bethea-Walsh's trainings are fast-paced, highly informative and interactive.
5 Core CE Clock Hours:
- Psychologists: The Knowledge Tree (TKT) is approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. TKT maintains responsibility for this program and its content.
- Georgia Psychologists: All online webinars (both real-time "synchronous" and on-demand "asynchronous") count the same as "live" throughout 2022 (including ethics). There is also a proposed Board rule to make this change permanent. Please stay tuned for updates.
- Licensed in another state: The Knowledge Tree is a Continuing Education Sponsor Approved (CESA) by APA, so all of our workshops should satisfy your CE requirements, but please check your state rules.
- Counselors: The Knowledge Tree has been approved by NBCC as an Approved Continuing Education Provider, ACEP No. 7153. Programs that do not qualify for NBCC credit are clearly identified. The Knowledge Tree is solely responsible for all aspects of the programs.
- Georgia Counselors: Per the Georgia Composite Board, Core CE hours are now permitted to be earned through on-demand "asynchronous" webinars, and will count the same as live in-person Core CE hours. Ten asynchronous hours are expressly permitted, and an additional five hours can be used as "independent study" hours.
- Licensed in another state as a Counselor: The Knowledge Tree has been approved by NBCC as an Approved Continuing Education Provider (ACEP) #7153, so all of our workshops should satisfy your CE requirements, but please check your state rules.
- Licensed in Canada as a Counselor: This workshop is approved for 5 credit hours through CCPA, event code 64956048.
- Social Workers: This workshop is approved for 5 core CE hours through GSCSW, approval #060920. TKT maintains responsibility for this program and its content.
- Georgia Social Workers: Per the Georgia Composite Board, Core CE hours are now permitted to be earned through on-demand "asynchronous" webinars, and will count the same as live in-person Core CE hours. Ten asynchronous hours are expressly permitted, and an additional five hours can be used as "independent study" hours.
- Licensed in another state as a Social Worker: Please see the yellow highlighted section below.*
- Marriage and Family Therapists: This workshop is approved for 5 core CE hours through GAMFT, approval #089-2020. TKT maintains responsibility for this program and its content.
- Georgia Marriage & Family Therapists: Per the Georgia Composite Board, Core CE hours are now permitted to be earned through on-demand "asynchronous" webinars, and will count the same as live in-person Core CE hours. Ten asynchronous hours are expressly permitted, and an additional five hours can be used as "independent study" hours.
- Licensed in another state as a Marriage & Family Therapist: Please see the yellow highlighted section just below.
- *Licensed in another state as a Social Worker or Marriage & Family Therapist? Most states will accept CEs for Social Workers, and Marriage & Family Therapists if that workshop has approved status from another state association which ours have been (see above). Additionally, we have national approval for all our courses through APA & NBCC. Many states will accept APA & NBCC approved continuing education hours, but please check your specific state rules & regulations. We strongly recommend saving the course description and educational objectives, the certificate of completion you receive from the activity, and please contact your state board or organization to determine specific filing requirements.
To view our various workshop policies, including our multi-workshop discount & refund policy, please click here.
We are an approved vendor for the U.S. Department of Veteran's Affairs for easy reimbursement of educational expenses for VA employees.
Blank Page Issues? We have received some reports about compatibility issues with our website while attempting to pay for a workshop resulting in blank pages. According to our website host, this is a known security issue with Internet Explorer (particularly when someone is about to use a credit card). Microsoft stopped supporting Internet Explorer in January 2016, and they updated it to Microsoft Edge. Our website is updated constantly to offer the highest level of security. If you experience issues while using Internet Explorer, we recommend updating your browser to Edge or using another browser (e.g., Google Chrome, Safari, or FireFox). This should fix the issue and be more secure for you in general. Or, you may always enroll another way here. We apologize for any inconvenience.